For those who haven’t started Christmas shopping yet, Christmas is just one month away! Before you head out to get gifts for your loved ones, here are some tips to save money when shopping for Christmas presents.
Image by Sister72
- First off, set a budget and stick to it. If you have a list of what you want to get each person, it will save you time and keep your spending on track.
- Don’t go overboard on stocking stuffers. This is a great chance to be frugal by shopping for little gifts at the dollar store and including some candies, nuts and mandarin oranges.
- You can cut down on shopping for extended family by setting up a gift exchange. Draw names and each person will only buy for the one person whose name they drew. Everyone gets a gift and you all save possibly hundreds of dollars!
- Shop early if a decent sale comes along. Not only will this save you money, but it can save you the hassle of crowds in December.
- Another way to avoid crowds and save money is to shop online. You can often find products cheaper, but keep an eye on shipping costs to ensure you really are getting a deal.
- To save money on shipping, shop soon to give you time to use many sites’ free shipping options. The closer to Christmas, the more you’ll need to pay for priority or express shipping.
- Avoid extended warranties on your purchases. If an item is defective, it’s likely to have issues within the standard warranty’s time frame.
- You might want to skip getting someone a gift card. An estimated 10% of gift cards are never redeemed.
- Some restaurants have been enticing people to buy gift cards by including a bonus gift card. While this can be a great deal, check out the bonus card as it may have an expiry date.
- Keep all your receipts in a safe place since items may be broken or clothes might not fit. While some stores will except returns without a receipt, it will be at whatever their lowest price has been on that item.